Dr. Paul Nghiem, professor and head of Dermatology at the University of Washington and expert in Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC), joins the Seattle Translational Tumor Research leadership team as the Deputy Director for Skin/Cutaneous Oncology.
As a hub for collaboration and innovation, Seattle Translational Tumor Research (STTR) aims to create an environment tailored to researchers and clinicians which allows them to accelerate scientific discovery and translate it into cures for patients, both regionally and globally. STTR engages with a broad range of experts across the Consortium and the larger Seattle area to understand and address the challenges associated with translational research. By bringing together state-of-the-art technology and multidisciplinary, multi-institutional data and resources, investigators are able to identify and develop targeted solutions, and then partner with key stakeholders and leadership to readily translate them into real patient outcomes.
STTR appoints and works closely with deputy directors for each of 15 tumor-specific research programs. Informed by annual landscape assessments undertaken in collaboration with STTR staff, deputy directors lead the development of programmatic strategy and support translational research in their area of expertise. They identify opportunities for growth across their programs and create a collaborative environment by leading monthly translational research meetings and building centralized resources and infrastructure.
Nghiem brings an extensive background in Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) and skin cancer more broadly to the Deputy Director for Skin/Cutaneous Oncology role. In about 80 percent of cases, MCC is caused by the Merkel cell polyomavirus, while in the remaining 20 percent of cases it is caused by damage from UV light (sunlight). Nghiem’s lab is involved in diverse studies on this increasingly common and often lethal skin cancer to determine its basic genetic underpinnings as well as its clinical course and optimal management. In addition to Merkel cell carcinoma, his clinical and research interests include melanoma, and complex skin cancer management in a multidisciplinary team.